The Friday Night Blues The Friday Night Blues

Very neat!

Nice job with this! I can see the silent film statement. Nice piano playing, too, although I would work on your rhythm.

Great clarity, what samples are you using? It sounded pretty realistic. I'm going to look for more stuff from you!

Keep up the great work!

5/5

Take a look at something of mine if you get the chance!

Sevanimation responds:

Hey thanks for the positive review:D
About the recording, it was a direct recording from my keyboard to my MP3 player, and then I transfered it from my MP3 player to my computer...
I will be sure to look at your stuff as soon as I'm done this review.

Sevanimation

_-={An Ambitious War}=-_ _-={An Ambitious War}=-_

Nicely Done!

Great job again Maestro, you're music has really come a long way!

I loved the rhythmic motion in the strings, I thought it really gave it a strong feeling. Also, the vocals sounded very nice as well.

I would suggest you have a stronger beat in the beginning, perhaps bass drum with quarters and snares with some pattern. I get the feeling this is supposed to sound like a march of some sort, but it really neads the snare and bass. Other than that, I'd say you have another great piece of music!

Keep it up :)

MaestroRage responds:

Hey David. Always appreciate insights from you. Anyways, this song in particular wasn't designed with marching in mind, but I can definately see where you are coming from. The stronger bass hits were originally planned, but my lack of equalizing knowledge made it dificult to properly pull off, and the overpowering led to a great loss of power from the instruments side, and so timpini and bass hits had to be reduced/removed.

I will definately try out these ideas though, if only to learn off them.

Thanks for the review David, means a good deal to me.

Cold as Fire Cold as Fire

Good first submission!

For your first piece, this is very well done! This is a lot better than some of the stuff on the Audio Portal, so you should be proud of that.

My main complaint is that it's too repetitive. As you progressed into the piece you helped fix that, but the beginning dragged on too long unchanged. I would suggest adding in another part to help keep the listener interested.

You've got some great musical ideas, and nothing sounded out of place here, which shows you've got some potential.

Keep at it!

5/5

Check out my piece Meltdown if you get the chance!

ListenToMyMusic responds:

thank you, I know that is repeatative, I could add some more leads, this is my first techno/dnb or whatever it would be classified, I've made one other, completely different type of song, i will upload it someday

Vampira Vampira

Nice Beat

I really enjoyed the overall feel of the piece, it has a great hip-hopesque sound with an almost ambient twist to it. Every part blended together very nicely, nothing sounded out of place at all.

I would have tried to introduce a new melody to help keep the piece fresh. Towards the end it began to feel monotonous. Adding in strings to give body, or another synth to help add to the complexity would be very beneficial to the piece. Besides that, I don't really see anything I don't like about the piece!

I'll be watching for more stuff from you, keep up the great work!

Thanks for your vote, DavidOrr! You voted 5 for Vampira, keeping its score at 5.00.

Hope it will stay high up on the charts as long as possible so you can get even more feedback!

If you have the time, I'd love your opinion on my track "Meltdown"!

Always-Dark responds:

Thank you so much for the review you gave me. Usually i get the "wow nice song, make more" review, which is good, but id like to hear what i did right, what i did wrong. Yea i thought i should've added strings at the last break but i really wanted to finish it today so i could hand it over to a friend of mine who's going to rap over it.

Thanks for the vote, and dont worry ill check your track out, i have to now lol

-Allen aka LeN

-SOES-Andras (Update) -SOES-Andras (Update)

Big Improvment!

Very well done, I can see a lot of progress since your first version. I'm not a fan of the snare bass pattern, it should probably be reversed. Other than that, everything sounded more realistic.

Keep up the good work!

Deflektor responds:

Ten?! WOOOOT! Er... Sorry.
Yes, i followed your advices. For the first instrument, to make it more realistic and avoid the seems-too-much-attacked-for-violin, i added a steinway piano on that one. For the others, i changed the instruments and the velocity curve, then use filter for some.
I'm SOOOOO glad this works much better! Thanks for all!

For the last time For the last time

Very Nice!

You've got a lot of potential, this is great stuff. I really enjoy your ideas, I can almost see how your brain works when you're writing this music. This sounds VERY close to the Batman Begins soundtrack, I'm not sure if this was intentional or not, but bravo nonetheless.

You could really benefit from new orchestral sounds. Your best bet would be to go with the EWQLSO Gold samples (you can find them for $400 if you look in the right places). Your music would come to life so much more. There is some percussion in the collection I know you would love.

Keep up the great work, I'm going to be watching you!

5/5, along with a 5 to all of your other stuff. I hope you get some more attention!

madboss responds:

Well first of all: thanks for the review and the listening! About the melody: it's my own idea and creation altough I love the Batman Begins soundtrack.
Yeah I've heard about the EWQLSO and if everything goes alright I'll get the silver edition... at least I hope so...
Thanks again for your points and your attention!

Ear Rape Ear Rape

Great Work!

Zero.

Thanks for your vote, DavidOrr! You voted 0 for Ear Rape, keeping its score at 0.00.

(Keep up the good work :D)

cornandbeans responds:

woohooo!! XD XD

I love making crap. It's so much fun.

Human Shaped Leech Human Shaped Leech

Very clear!

Wow, that was very clear sounding! Very professional recording, although the snare could have had a *slight* drop in the high frequencies.

The drums sounded a little off at times, I think it is probably just the pattern programmed. It was only in a few fills, so it may be a simple fix. I loved the double kick drum, very clear sounding and crisp.

As always, a great song. Each piece keeps getting better and better in production quality, keep it up!

GoreBastard responds:

Thanks for the great compliments David Orr. Your name is cool.

Yeah, I've gotten much better lately at recording. I think it's because I spend more time on stuff these days!
Acoustica beatcraft isn't the greatest drum program ever, but I've just gotten some new samples from BadMan and SpeedMetalMessiah, so hopefully I'll have a better drum sound for my next song!

Cheers for the words of power dude!

David Orr David Orr David Orr David Orr David Orr David Orr David Orr David Orr David Orr David Orr David Orr David Orr David Orr David Orr David Orr David Orr David Orr David Orr David Orr David Orr David Orr!!!

{dj-N} Neue Böden {dj-N} Neue Böden

Very trancey

I really enjoyed the instrument selections in the piece, they all seemed to fit very well. I also liked the drums you used, not the standard kick + clap, it had some variation to it, which I enjoyed.

I think your bass could have a little more presence though. I could see you pumping up the low end to help add to the low-end of the piece. Maybe run it through an EQ and boost lower frequencies.

All in all, a really neat piece. Keep up the great work!

5/5

I'd love your opinion on any of my pieces, but only if you have the time!

dj-Nate responds:

Thanks alot for the review; I'll definatley do the same for you.

-SOES-Andras (Beta update) -SOES-Andras (Beta update)

Nice Job

There is definitely an improvement with your sample quality. There is still a sense of unrealism, mainly in the violin. I'll take a little time to describe how to increase realism.

First off, creating phrasing is crucial in making orchestral samples live. It sounded like you cut all of the velocity levels and evened them out. I rarely cut my velocity levels, I want fluctuation between each note to help give the impression it's not a sample being used over and over again, but a real player. Another trick is to make some notes *slightly* spill over into the next. This helps decrease gaps from sample to sample, which is a thing you want to avoid at all costs.

Here is an mp3 using the theme from your piece. The first time through is a relatively accurate replication of your version, and after I have my version which has velocity and note length fluctuation.

There is a noticeable improvement, but it still doesn't sound very authentic. One of the main reasons is because of the sample being used. Because this is a relatively delicate passage, using a violin sound where the player is using forceful bowing isn't the best choice. I would recommend a sustained sample with a soft vibrato.

This next mp3 has your version at the beginning, and then my version with a different sample. It sounds more convincing, but it still isn't perfect yet.

The best way to get a real sound is by using multiple samples. This is also the hardest, most time consuming, and most processor taxing, but it can yield great results. I have my own ideas with your motif, where the faster parts should be played slightly more ferociously, and the longer notes following these parts should be more expressive. This last mp3 has your version in the beginning, and then my version after, which uses two different violin samples. You should be able to notice a big improvement in realism and quality.

Hopefully these techniques will help you in the future. It takes a while to get it down, but the results are very rewarding!

Great job once again,

Deflektor responds:

If these are not excellent advices! I'll make good use of this.